Thursday, July 14, 2011

Oatmeal Banana Bread Pancakes

Every once in awhile, I break away from the Cheerios for breakfast and make something real. This usually only happens if I sleep in increments longer than two hours, who knew that after 3 years of not sleeping your body would still have problems with it?

I came across this recipe and since I had some rotting bananas on my counter begging to be used, I figured we'd give it a shot. Keep in mind, that I'm not a huge fan of pancakes, or any breakfast food for that matter, hence the daily Cheerio regime.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup large-flake rolled oats
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
2 ripe bananas
3 tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp olive oil

Directions:
In large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. In separate bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, bananas, butter and vanilla; pour over flour mixture and stir until almost smooth. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Heat nonstick skillet or griddle to medium heat; brush lightly with some of the oil. Pour in about 1/3 cup batter for each pancake; cook for about 3 minutes or until underside is golden and bubbles break on top but do not fill in. Turn and cook until underside is golden brown, about 1 minute.

Repeat with remaining batter, brushing skillet with more oil as necessary.

These pancakes were like eating warm banana bread, so I definitely enjoyed it. I also found them to be filling enough that I only ate one, so we ended up freezing about two days worth for another day. All in all, give it a shot on the day you feel like something more than cereal.

No comments:

Post a Comment