Saturday, August 20, 2011

Magazine Organizer



For my niece's birthday this year, I got her a magazine subscription, and the last I heard, she loved it! So, hopefully that's still the case. Now, the best part of this birthday gift was that if you bought two subscriptions you got a third free. What's the you say, spend an extra $10 and get magazines for myself too? Why, of course, I'll take it!

And now, I find myself anxiously awaiting my Today's Parent and Moneysense subscriptions, heck, I am an accountant by trade. P.S. Both these magazines rock!

But, onto the real point, I have absolutely no where to put my magazines beside the bookshelf in the spare bedroom, and that's a little out of the way when I'm looking for something to do to pass the time during the day.

So, Big N and I got to work making a nice magazine holder.

We took a Bran Flake box, since it was about the right size, and cut off the top and cut down the sides. We added some scrapbook paper to the back and sides to cover the box itself. And just like that, we had a cute little magazine organizer.

As I was putting away endless amounts of colouring books today, I thought one of these little boxes would work great for them too, so perhaps tomorrow we will make another. A few things I learned along the way for the next round:

1. If your box is very graphic, you may want to take it outside and add a coat of spray paint first, if you look carefully you can see the coupons available on the back of the box.

2. The glue did tend to pucker a little bit, so I would probably water it down a little more than I did this time.

3. Work at not having any excess, since as you can see above a little piece of my box is missing scrap book paper, and that is because I only had one sheet of that same pattern. If I were to make it so it didn't hardly overlap with the black binding, it probably could have covered just a little bit more.


No comments:

Post a Comment