Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Toilet Paper Roll Art

After spending WAY too much time trolling blog land recently, I've come across some VERY artistic people that create awesome things without spending a cent. Now, that is my kind of art. I've decided to finally finish the decorating of the master bedroom and have been looking for some nice pieces of art to work with. The only problem with finding great art, is that it usually comes with a price tag, and mat leave doesn't pay a whole heck of a lot, so art on the cheap is definitely a plus.

Big N and I rounded up the cardboard rolls lying around the house (paper towel, toilet paper, wrapping paper, etc.) and cut them into small pieces. Then we spent a good amount of time laying out a design. We plugged in the glue gun to realize that it couldn't reach where we had laid out our design, and with Little N crawling around in our midst, we couldn't have the floor space taken up much longer, so we just started throwing pieces together and gluing fast before we lost any more pieces to Little N's little mouth.

After we had everything glued together, Little N and I took the piece outside to add some spray paint, Big N had lost interest by this point and was busy talking her dad's ear off. So. we added some black spray paint that we had randomly found in the garage, left by the previous owners no doubt. So our "iron" work has some nice Tremclad covering it, I was quite worried that it would get rusty.

Here is our final product:
I think it looks super cute, and definitely adds something to the bedroom. You can hardly tell it's toilet paper rolls in person.

I'll reveal the entire master bedroom update once I finish a couple more projects, which hopefully happens in the next few days as opposed to months, like the kitchen project that I still haven't finished.

Less than three more months of mat leave, time to speed up the projects so I feel like I did everything I could during my time at home.

7 comments:

  1. It looks good! You can hardly tell it's make of toilet paper rolls :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never be able to tell it's toilet paper rolls!! Beautiful and so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! I love this! and I can't believe it's made of toilet paper rolls- amazing! I would never have thought of this, so thanks for the inspiration.

    http://growcreative.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder how long it would take me to save up this many rolls....NOT long at alL!
    And HOW creative! Love.

    Chrissy @ For Mamas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just in case you haven’t seen it yet, Stopping by to let you know you’ve been featured at
    http://diycraftstomake.blogspot.com/2012/03/40-fun-toilet-paper-roll-craft-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did the glued spots accept the paint as we'll as the rest?

    ReplyDelete