Friday, August 19, 2011

Master Bedroom Reno

After a year and a half, I finally decided to buckle down and finish the master bedroom. It was merely a matter of putting up some finishing touches to make everything come together. So, lets reminisce about how far we've come in the past year.

This first picture is from a couple of days prior to us taking possession of the house where we checked to make sure everything seemed to be in good order and my parents got the chance to come view the beautiful property with us. I'm sure they were awestruck. I mean with a master bedroom like this, who wouldn't be?
We quickly got to work CLEANING, patching holes, burning curtains, CLEANING and the room was starting to take shape. We added some paint to the ceiling and walls, put up some new trim, added new closet doors, and ta da, it was livable.

And that's pretty much how it stayed for over a year, until one day last week, I decided I wanted a room that was a little more relaxing and a little less, I just graduated from university and all I own is this bed. There was a lot of consideration over what to use as a headboard for our bed, but the lack of funds available for frivolous redo's, Big N and I got to work making this wonderful piece for $4.50. Check back for a full post of what it is made of, I have a feeling you'll never guess.

We added a mirror that was found in the clearance section of the Superstore above the dresser, although being 5'2" on a tall day, it's a bit high for my liking, but it's just right for people of normal height.

And we couldn't kick Little N out quite yet, so during the big bed move (dragging it across the room to the other wall), he got pushed against the inside wall now. The pictures above his bed are three pictures I took after my European Adventure in 2007. I still love looking at those pictures in the morning and remembering what a great adventure that trip was.
We finalized the bedroom for under $5. We pieced together the furniture over the past year, the platform bed and dresser are from the South Shore Lux collection which we got from Direct Buy. We have the same dresser in the kids' room, so some day when we are ready to get an actual grown up bedroom set, the kids will likely inherit this whole set. The night stands and lights are all from Ikea and had been taking up residence in other parts of our house. The blinds were from the rec room downstairs, and immediately after moving in and realizing the windows were the same size, I scooped them up so R had to buy new sets for the rec room, hehe oops. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the results. Some day when we decide to pull up all the gross blue carpeting, I'll enjoy the space even more, but for now, it suits my needs just fine.

2 comments:

  1. Great job on getting it done! Our master bedroom hasn't been completed in about...oh 5 years:) I am determined to get it done before the fall this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the canvasses as a headboard! and the paint color is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete