Monday, August 15, 2011

Monday Meal - Vegetable Quinoa Salad

I made this salad for my mom's birthday party, and I thought it was pretty good. Having only cooked with Quinoa once before, I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I enjoyed the salad. I'm not sure my farmer brother thought the same, although I can't say for sure if he tried it, or just the look of it turned him away? I combined a few different recipes so here's what I did:

Ingredients:
1 cup Quinoa, rinsed and drained
2 cups cold water
1 tomato
1/4 cucumber, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 lime
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions:
1. In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, bring quinoa and water to a boil. Reduce heat, and boil gently for 10 to 15 minutes or until the white germ separates from the seed. Cover, remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove lid, let cool and fluff with a fork.

2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber and pepper. Stir in cooled quinoa.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper.

4. Pour over salad and toss to coat.

I sized down the recipe a little bit so I probably didn't need to cook quite so much quinoa, but we'll use it for another meal today so, it won't go to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment