Friday, May 20, 2011

Book Review - Pleasures of the Home

Now as opposed to a novel, this book is a collection by Susannah Seton of "comforts and crafts for living well." You may be asking yourself, why did you pick up such a book? To which my reply would be, I had five minutes, I grabbed what was in sight, and I like being at home.

I hadn't actually read the "collected by" part of the title and was thoroughly confused why some sections had a man talking and others it was a women, but I soon clicked in. The book is small sections relating to simple things around that you can do around the house to make you feel at home. Simple enough.

Since the book was published in 1999, there are a lot of ideas that I would NEVER do (i.e. hang flowered wreaths on my picture frames), but, there were a few good things in the book, one of which was the Homemade Pretzels that we made. It also has a recipe for homemade crackers that I might just break out one of these days.

There was one other post that had inspired me to do. It suggested that every year at your child's birthday you put up the same white table cloth with a few fabric markers and have everyone in attendance write or draw something on the table cloth, then over the years it would be a cute keepsake. I enjoyed this idea so much, I called my mom right away and told her to store it in her memory bank as it would make a cute Christmas activity with the six grandkids that are 3 years apart in age. When I was a child my grandparents had this same paper banner up every year at Christmas that we all measured our heights against. It was probably the ugliest banner I've ever seen, but it was so much fun to bring it out every year and see who had grown the most or the least (I usually won that category, including shrinking in my 14th to 15th years.)

Do I suggest reading this book, probably not. But, it was cute, and did give me a little motivation to do the things I dread around the house because someone wrote about how much fun they have doing it (i.e. laundry and dishes).

No comments:

Post a Comment