Saturday, May 14, 2011

Homemade Pretzels

I was browsing through a book I took out from the library (which you'll get a full review on once I'm done checking it out), and came across a recipe for homemade pretzels. Now, I'm not a huge pretzel fan, but I know Daddy likes salty things, and it looked like a great recipe to get Big N involved with. So, off we went on our pretzel making adventure.






Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups warm water

1 package yeast

1 tbsp. sugar

4 cups flour

1 tsp salt, plus more for tops

1 egg, beaten.


Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a large bowl, dissolves yeast in warm water. Add sugar, flour and salt. Mix well, then knead dough until it is smooth and soft. Roll and twist dough into desired shapes. Lay the pretzel dough shapes onto two greased cookie sheets. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle lightly with salt. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Makes 1-3 dozen depending on size.

For our first batch I made a variety of sizes, not knowing exactly how this was going to turn out. I found the ones that were a little bit bigger, but not quite as thick to be the most delicious (yes, I tried every different size just to be sure).
Big N loved brushing on the egg way more than rolling out the dough, which I was surprised by, but, all in all because it is such a simple recipe she got to help with the whole thing.


I sprinkled ours with sea salt and they are delicious! I did make one batch without the added salt so that Big and Little N could taste them without all the additional salt that they don't particularly need in their diets. If I go to make these again I may attempt to put some whole wheat flour in with the white too, as I try to make as many things whole wheat as I can, but I hate to ruin a brand new recipe without first trying it as provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment