Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Dinner Time - Black Eyed Pea, Chick Pea and Avocado Salad

She did it again, Jenn over at Jenn, Interrupted inspired me to make the salad she had posted yesterday. So, tonight, after putting a few spins on her original recipe, this was the delicious salad I created.





Black Eyed Pea, Chick Pea & Avocado Salad


Ingredients:


1 can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 red onions, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, diced


1 carrot, peeled and grated
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced


Dressing:
1 tsp grated lime rind
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 tsp EACH salt & pepper


In large bowl, toss together black eyed peas, chickpeas, onions, red pepper, carrot and avocado .
Whisk together lime rind and juice, oil, salt and pepper. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat.



Now it did vary quite a bit from the original recipe based on the ingredients I had in my cupboard and fridge. But all in all, it was a delicious summer recipe that I can't wait to eat for leftovers tomorrow for lunch which are pictured, since I forgot to take a picture of the finished product before digging in.

I served this with some lemon and herb chicken breasts which took all of 20 minutes to cook. Slice up some chicken, cook in olive oil and then cover in lemon and herb spice, and it made for delicious light summer meal that I think will make into the regular summer rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment